Social Weekend

So instead of delving into the complexities of John Locke and his views on humanity (like I should be doing in my Political Theory class), I will blog instead.  I have a lot on my mind, so I might as well get it out of my head so I can fill it with other stuff later.

So this weekend was quite fantastic.  As mentioned previously, I went to the IWA Ladies' Choice Dance on Friday, and my date was quite reserved at first but by the end of the night our whole group was having a good time.  I definitely shine when I'm in a group of people, because it allows me to feed off of other people's ideas and I joke around and get people to laugh.  It might be hard to believe, but after being so incredibly shy before my junior year of high school, trying to get everyone in a group feel included and making funny remarks to get people to laugh is something I do automatically, without really thinking about it.  I'm really happy that I've been given that personality trait, because I have been on the other side where I'm so shy it's paralyzing, and I was always grateful for those people that went out of their way to make me feel a lot less on-edge and included with the rest of the group.  It's just one way of me trying to pay it forward.

So we went to dinner, which was wonderful, and by the end of dinner we were all acting like old friends.  Then when we went to the dance we linked up with everyone else (our whole apartment came to the dance, since everyone was asked by someone).  That made it a lot less nerve-wracking because we were among friends and therefore we busted out and had lots of fun sweating buckets on the dance floor at the Institute. 

The next day we decided to go to Texas Roadhouse.  We needed to try it out, we hadn't gone yet, and of course, it has no lack of attractive girls working there.  I scored a 16 ounce New York Strip (so good) and the four of us were sitting there in the booth joking around about how our server kept coming back more than is normal and making all kinds of jokes that we thought were insinuating some kind of attraction.  Hardy har har, very funny.  Well, we met up with one of our friends that works there, and I was dared to put my phone number on the receipt.

Not to be outdone, or double-dog-dared, I put my number on there.  It's not my style, and of course I wasn't expecting anything out of it.  We left just as soon as she came back and bounced out of there to avoid embarrassment.  So then we went home, I got a call from one of the girls from the IWA dance the night before.  My mind started to wonder what the heck that all meant- a girl calling you can mean just about anything.

Now, if there's one thing I find irritating (but I tolerate anyway, because I try to be nice) is when you go out of your way to invite someone (namely, a cute girl you're going after) to an activity and they get there and ditch you for some random friend for the entire event.  I guess it burns that much more because I went early to the Spectrum to get us good seats, but it was ok because the game was good and I had saved 19 seats for people so we had a good crowd there anyway.  I know at the time I was pissed about it, though, because I sent a Twitter update from my phone right when it was happening.

Granted, I did play nice and tell them it was ok with me if they did that.  It's what nice guys do.

Now, after an event like that, you try to invite that person to redeem themselves (if I can put it that way) by doing something after the event like a movie or dinner or something like that.  Well, the invitation was rejected because they had other things to do (which actually turned out to be a good thing, since that New York Strip came back to make my stomach feel a bit sick for the rest of the night).  They instead asked if I could cook for them the next day after Church.  "Ok, sweet, I am totally willing to strut my stuff and show off my cooking skills, especially for a cute girl", I thought.  I was worried she would starve, though, since it's after OUR church gets out at 4 or so.

Jumping ahead to after Church, we ended up having Pounders for our Linger-Longer after Church so when I got home at 5 to cook for this girl I was stuffed.  So I cooked for her and it was weird, I'll admit, because I didn't eat with her.  That was a potential jerk move- she told me she would text me after her ward prayer was over to do something, but alas, I heard nothing.  Plus I didn't get a response from her when I texted her to see what she was up to.

Now, I know some girls say "oh sorry, I totally didn't have my phone on me/it was on silent/I was busy", but I don't buy it.  Of course you had your phone!  Of course you are paying attention to it!  Every girl is texting some male individual at every point in time, even if it's not constantly.  Or their girlfriends are chatting it up with them or something.  I mean, come on, it's not a good excuse.  If you didn't want me to talk to you, don't ignore me- I'd almost prefer they tell me they're ignoring me.

Call me a fatalist or a pessimist when it comes to relationships (especially after my last disaster, which proved to me that no matter how much you care or love someone, that doesn't guarantee that they will be kind and reciprocate the feelings), but I'm just encouraged to think more and more that all bets are off.  There is no guarantee of decency, and that's in great measure because just about everyone sees courtship as a game.  Wooing/courting someone is cool and necessary, but there's a point where it stops being courtship and instead turns into something resembling what you see on a playground in 2nd grade.  Why can't people be direct?

To drive home the point, let me put in a picture of Ralphie from the Simpsons.  I think you know what I'm talking about:


Makes a lot more sense now, doesn't it?  Welcome to Springfield, where life is as dysfunctional as real-world relationships.  Actually, the Simpsons is easier to figure out than girls.  I know some girls that told me they agree.


Ok, so I might be freaking out about a grand total of three days of face time with this girl, but still, I think it the point still stands.  This just happens to be a very narrow example of how I wish people would be more sincere and direct with their words and actions.  Girls are nothing but trouble.

I guess to end on a good note, we had a Council of War last night.  We covered the usual topics, and that included us trying to get an apartment date night going so we could all repeated the fun experience of the IWA dance this past weekend.  Not only that, but like I said to the guys last night, when you have a date and time set, it's easier to get the courage to ask a girl.  After all, if you don't set a goal, you don't look forward to it or work towards that end.  We've talked about it for a while, so we may finally set that time later this week.

But seeing as how a ton of people came to the apartment after ward prayer, and this crowd included a number of cute girls, all options are on the table.  During our Council we touched on this, everyone kinda throwing out who they might want to take out from that group.  Divide and conquer, it seems.

Anyway, I know one of the other roomies has some things to say about the weekend, so be on the lookout for his blog post muy pronto.  You should all find that quite...enlightening.  I know I did, when I spoke to him about this weekend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment